- On October 5, 2021
- 0 Comments
The concept of the cloud has seen widespread usage across multiple industries in recent years, despite the fact that most non-tech savvy people probably couldn’t explain what cloud storage really is and how it works. For many, the cloud is still a vague tech buzzword, but that doesn’t mean your business can’t benefit from cloud-based digital signage software. In this blog, we’re uncovering how cloud-based digital signage works and how it gives you the freedom to run your business from anywhere.
What is the Cloud?
The notoriously elusive concept of the “cloud” is actually more straightforward than you might imagine. In simple terms, it’s defined as, “software and services that run on the internet, instead of locally on your computer.”
You can also think of the cloud as an alternative option to on-premise storage, which is when a business hosts its own server, often onsite. In contrast, cloud storage is designed so that, as long as you have an internet connection, whether it’s through Chrome, Firefox, Safari, etc., you can access your data from anywhere at any time. If you’re at the office, at home on a laptop, or on a train with your mobile device, you have the same accessibility.
Cloud storage is actually quite common, and it’s very likely that you already use cloud-based technology in your everyday life. For example, consider how the Google Workspace platform allows you to create and manage documents, view media, store data in multiple formats, and provides access to that content on any device. Other services with cloud capabilities such as Apple’s iCloud, Dropbox, Amazon Cloud Drive, and Microsoft’s OneDrive all fall under the same category. If you’ve used any of these, you’ve already experienced some of the basic benefits of cloud technology.
How Does Cloud-based Digital Signage Work?
The main components of cloud technology that you’ve used in the past generally carry over to its application in digital signage. But let’s fill some of the gaps in understanding how cloud storage works. Although it’s called the cloud, that doesn’t mean that your data is just floating around out there in the void. Digital signage providers host data centers on secure servers outside of your business, which allows you to access that data through the internet, from any location.
The logistics of using a cloud-based digital signage platform are as simple as accessing your digital signage Content Management System from wherever you are. There’s no need to be anywhere near your media player, just log into your CMS dashboard on any device, whether it’s a desktop computer, laptop, phone, tablet or android device, and manage and update all of your digital signage content from that device. That means you can work on signage content from your home computer or make edits on a tablet while riding public transportation.
Once you log in, you can create customizable digital displays and playlists from anywhere and update pricing, messaging, media, playlists, design templates, etc. in real time, or schedule content ahead of time. Whether you’re working on a digital menu board, outdoor signage, or a touch screen kiosk, this setup makes for a powerful digital signage system.
Why Use Cloud-based Digital Signage?
Today, cloud-based digital signage solutions are the most popular and preferred types of signage services, and for good reason. There are a lot of digital signage software offerings out there today, and one big differentiator you should look for is cloud storage. Here’s why it makes a difference for any business:
- Remote Accessibility – Update digital signage content from anywhere. If you’re on the go, you can make mobile updates instantly with Internet access.
- Time – Accessing and editing your digital signage playlists from anywhere ends up being a major time saver for most users. Without the constraints of waiting until you return to the office to access the CMS dashboard, fewer delays are involved.
- Security – Today, storing your data on a single device is a gamble. No device is infallible; viruses and crashes are serious possibilities. You’ve invested resources in your digital messaging content, so the last thing you want is for that data to be vulnerable. Opting to backup your data in the cloud is the safest way to store content, where it’s protected with encryption methods.
- Affordable – On-premise digital signage tends to be more expensive in the long run because there’s more setup and maintenance required. Buying servers and other equipment is costly, as well as the cost of electricity, storage space, and IT support. Not every business has the resources to put towards on-premise digital signage, making cloud-based signage the more affordable option.
- User Friendly – As a business owner, you and your employees don’t have to be tech geniuses to use cloud-based digital signage. Just because the concept of the cloud may seem abstract and complicated, does not mean that using it is something that’s out of reach. The software has great functionality, often starting with templates, and is easy to use for people in any businesses, including retail stores, restaurants, banks, etc.
- Scale to Capacity – If you find that you require more or less storage, cloud-based signage allows you to scale to the specific storage needs of your business.
For Businesses of Any Size
For big corporations with a lot of content to manage, cloud storage is a convenient way to update any displays in your digital signage network. Remote access is a major advantage for corporate employees, who typically work at businesses that go through frequent messaging updates and new marketing campaigns with dynamic content. Corporate employees also tend to have demanding schedules, and being able to update remotely saves a lot of time and frustration. In addition, cloud-based digital signs make corporate communications easier because everyone has access to the same CMS dashboard. Whether you need to store high value content, social media content, interactive content, HD videos, etc. the cloud provides an all-in-one and secure solution for employees to collaborate and manage it all.
If you are a small business owner, don’t be deterred by the fact that cloud-based digital signage is high-end technology. There’s no reason to be intimidated because, as mentioned previously, scalability is a major benefit of utilizing the cloud, so it’s a good fit for businesses of any size or budget. Switching to cloud signage can also help bring small businesses up to date and create more efficient processes for outputting and managing marketing content. At the same time, you’re not over-investing in storage you don’t need. Especially in the case of small businesses, it’s unlikely that you need enough data storage to warrant on-premise hosting, so a scalable cloud-based option will be the best fit.
Contact us Today
Are you interested in taking the leap and investing in a cloud-based digital signage player? Want to update your own digital signage system to bring it to the next level? Let Keyser’s experience do the work for you. Contact us today and we’ll take care of your digital signage needs.